Beijing Bands at SXSW 2012: a mixed bag!!

Well folks, it’s that time of the year when we see the announcements about our beloved bands heading over state-side for SXSW. For the 2012 edition, looks like the Maybe Mars folks have decided to take in a mixed bag of acts:
Rustic, Carsick Cars, Novaheart & Deadly Cradle Death

It’s interesting to see the names on there with Carsick Cars being at their 3rd participation. Rustic is heading over there with a new (untested) lineup which is always scary in my book. I’m not sure why the band didn’t try a couple of warmup gigs before! They do get to play March 1st at Yugong Yishan and that might be the only chance to see them before hand. Deadly Cradle Death is basically noise on acid… Not sure how the hell they made that list but the locals in austin might piss themselves over this one. It’s their MO.
The surprise addition to the list is Novaheart! The band just finished touring Australia with a few Maybe Mars acts so there seems to be a positive cooperation brewing between them fake love media. Congrats and good luck to all the bands.. regardless of whether i like them or not, they deserve some good wishes!

Shanghai’s Duck Fight Goose is also one of the Chinese bands invited to the feast…

There will be a send off show at dugong yishan on March 1st:

You may also like...

15 Responses

1. Willis says:

interesting selection indeed…not exactly the best representation for music in beijing though I’m rooting for rustic to rip those texans a new one

2. Jaime says:

I’ll be going to that Bye Bye show for sure…. Hope it’s good.. I really do… but something tells me that it’s just more money being spent promoting who knows what and not really anything real. I hope I am fukkin wrong.

BTW, you wanna pack your Uke up, I’ll play the nose whistle, we’ll find a spoonman that knows how to play his forehead… we’ll get some costumes and writhe around on stage… oh yeah… i’ll bring a laptop with some beats… and go on vacation to a bunch of countries and make no money….call it a…. er… I mean go on an international tour… and ????… YAWN!

I really hope someone actually is good and really deserves it and not just a bunch of **** from ****** which is just gimmick shit that only has interest because it’s from the mysterious East constantly touted on Western Idiot boxes and CNN. China DOES have some real talent around here…I KNOW it does!…. When’s it gonna freakin happen that someone funds something that is truly impressive and sustainable??

3. Mark says:

Altough I am unable to decipher everything written by Jaime here, it does contain an excellent point, which I also has talked about before on several occasions: the main draw of these bands are the fact that they are Chinese. There is nothing remarkable about them other than that (have not heard Novaheart so I can not talk for that one though), it’s not bad but it’s not good either. That such mediocre bands gets these chances that other bands can only dream of is something I hope they value, because if these bands where not Chinese they would never be given these opportunities. In contrast to what you’d usually read in media it is fuckin’ easy to be a band from China, well from Beijing at least.

4. josh says:

Re-TROS and Snapline are also going to SXSW.

haters gonna hate!

5. Jaime says:

Cool, there’s some more representation…. I was worried that the aforementioned were the only bands going

6. Mark says:

not sure if I am referred to as a hater, but i dont think that is justified if so. it’s just calling a spade a spade really, these bands are simply nothing worth mentioning above any local band you’ll find elsewhere in the world. anyway, good for them that someone are willing to spend money on sending them there, seriously, it’s proably a great experience. pretty funny that snapline is added too, another perfect example right there.

7. who do you think are the good bands then? (be positive – maybe some people will listen!) and if they’re that good already why aren’t they popular enough to finance their own way there?

carsick cars, snapline and rustic have all had international interest previously so maybe the world enjoys what you define as mediocre. maybe mars is sending what they think is popular and will help them recover the money that they themselves are outlaying. FMM and Modern Sky are doing the same.

personally i’d rather see these bands extending their base in china first – start selling 100,000 copies locally and don’t worry about what the rest of the world thinks is good!

8. Jaime says:

Well, going abroad is good for all of them (selling records in China? Share your secret) and the time is immediately… going away somewhere and then coming back is the formula for exciting your local crowds… that’s extending your base. Not building here first and waiting for what? Old age starts at 25 for the pop music world. Thank god for metal and heavy rock…. otherwise I’d be in the music retirement home hehehe… China is a big country, yes, but for music on this Earth, it is so very small. Get out there and kick ass!

International interest, as you wrote, for the Chinese is still, for the most part, just the rest of the world’s attention to a and fascination with China…. We already made that point… Some of this music, if it were performed in the USA by kids from Indiana or wherever, wouldn’t make it out of the garage! Sorry but true… hope the musos up their game by a factor of 10. I am positive they can but fuckin get goin!

One more thing…. “don’t worry about what the rest of the world thinks is good!” is the statement that 99.99% of the time makes music a hobby for ya… not a sustainable profession even at the lowest standards of living. That is a little ignorant or maybe naive.

9. “Some of this music, if it were performed in the USA by kids from Indiana or wherever, wouldn’t make it out of the garage! Sorry but true”

have you heard any of the shit that is popular music in the USA? :-) bands like carsick cars, snapline etc are better than much of it. you may not like their music at all and that’s a fine opinion and hence me asking – who are the good bands? what is your opinion – who should be going to sxsw instead?

“One more thing…. “don’t worry about what the rest of the world thinks is good!” is the statement that 99.99% of the time makes music a hobby for ya”

what i actually said was this “start selling 100,000 copies locally and don’t worry about what the rest of the world thinks is good!”

10. Liz says:

just out of curiosity, what chinese bands would you guys want to see go to sxsw?

11. Beijing Daze says:

folks… let’s keep this civil and avoid name-calling!

Rustic earned the right to go there considering the old lineup’s accomplishments. however, the new lineup is untested/unproven… they’re taking too big a chance!

Carsick Cars has been there before multiple times.. if they keep going without even a new record, folks might wonder – and rightfully so- whether or not China has any rock bands worthy. They don’t see this as mostly Maybe Mars effort.

Snapline… we’ll agree to disagree! I happen to find them completely uninspiring and unoriginal.

Who should have gone?

I would send IZ who have just released a beautiful original record by all accounts.
    I would send Nanwu/Namo who play a brand of rock n roll with Chinese Characteristics.
    I would send Omnipotent Youth Society who have rightfully taken over as the darlings of the indie scene last year.

Now, I understand there are politics involved and it’s all about guanxi at the end of the day.. still, I’m relieved to see Re-TrOS going as well. They’re doing something beautiful and inspired.

that’s my two cents.

At the end of the day, name calling ain’t good golks! we all care about this scene, maybe a little too much for our own sake… so let’s save the venom

12. er…didn’t see any name calling (apologies if it was me!). so from my limited understanding bands submit to go to sxsw and then ‘someone’ judges and picks the ones they want.

i’m hoping the bands you mentioned did submit, otherwise…

“They don’t see this as mostly Maybe Mars effort.” – not sure what this means.

13. Liz says:

those are all very decent-to-awesmoe bands badr. but i think we have to remember that sxsw isn’t a referendum on which bands in china are the best – it’s a music festival with specific tastes and a singular audience. and carsick cars is definitely more in line with those tastes than a band like OYS.

all of the bands mentioned in this thread have proven themselves. so
    i think ultimately this debate is more about personal taste than the quality of the bands…

14. Jaime says:

Yeah, there wasn’t any name calling… this is healthy conversation… zero offense taken

Now, personal taste is not what this is about… it is quality. I have an open mind to just about any kind of music you could conceive of but out of tune guitars, rhythms not in the pocket… and out of tune, uninspired vocals… NOT done on purpose…. ain’t gonna cut it. If these attributes are something to aspire to as a genre– being shaky as a band on purpose, well then I’m not hip to that kind of music.

I also apologize for not having a local band to root for but lately after watching shows, I come home uninspired..

I do agree that Re-tros going is at least something… Even Nova Heart may reign in there for that kind of crowd but Helen could front many things and make it happen… still, she is not locally raised.

Rock out